Hiking Summit in Ingonish a celebration of hiking culture in NS
About 250 people with an interest in hiking, walking and snowshoeing, will converge on Ingonish from May 11 to 13, 2018 for the seventh annual Nova Scotia Hiking Summit. Hosted by Hike NS along with Naturally Active Victoria County, Parks Canada and the Keltic Lodge at the Highlands, the Summit is a celebration of Nova Scotia’s hiking culture, and includes sharing best practices, stories and networking. Attendees include avid hikers, hiking clubs, trail groups, provincial government, municipalities and others.
Presenting sponsor is The Trail Shop and Platinum sponsor is Victoria County. Gold sponsors are Parks Canada and Destination Cape Breton. Silver sponsors are Cape Breton University – Sport and Physical Activity Leadership; the NS Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage; Clif Bar, and Big Spruce Brewing. Bronze sponsor is the Ingonish Development Society.
“Cape Breton is seen as a hiking Mecca and we’re incredibly excited to have so many people come out to talk about hiking and trails and then actually get out onto those beautiful trails,” says Janet Barlow, Hike NS Executive Director. “We were pleasantly surprised to have the Summit sell out in just one month and we’ve got a long waiting list.” The Summit is also a great to launch Destination Cape Breton’s new #HikeCapeBreton initiative.
Date: Friday May 11, Saturday May 12 & Sunday, May 13, 2018
Location: Keltic Lodge at the Highlands, Ingonish
Time: 12 pm on May 11 to 5:30 pm on May 13
The Summit includes:
- Keynote David Miller, author of AWOL on the Appalachian Trail and The A.T. Guide
- MCs Chris Surette and Jan-Sebastian LaPierre from A for Adventure
- A smudging and drumming ceremony to open the Summit
- A new kids’ program
- Hikes featuring the gorgeous scenery of the Cape Breton Highlands
- Interesting sessions, skills workshops and Pecha Kucha presentations
- Friday night reception and Saturday night supper with keynote speaker
- Hike Nova Scotia’s Summit Awards
- Silent auction and displays
- Songs and stories around the campfire
The program and other details are found at www.hikenovascotia.ca/projects-hiking-summit.
Keynote David Miller is available for phone interviews leading up to the Summit as are representatives from our various co-hosts and partners. See the contact information below to arrange interviews.
Janet Barlow, Hike Nova Scotia